January 8, 2010

Irony in Balance

Photo by Herorat

It really is pretty ironic that I would choose to start up a blog, write for it, and maintain it… and a blog on finding balance, “thriving in the juggle of life,” and doing it all simply at that! Wouldn’t staying simple and balanced typically mean excluding things from one’s life, rather than tacking more items on the to-do list… purposefully? Don’t I already have enough on my plate with family, work, and community responsibilities? Perhaps not. As I’ve thought about this place, :simple:balance:, my goals for being a part of it, and my hopes for what it will become, I find myself motivated and excited. The topic of balance is one that is so close to my heart and my everyday experience that it is always on my mind and a part of every decision I make. Which is why taking the time and energy to participate in this blog was not a haphazard whim. It was thought-out, prepared for, and organized. And the choice to move forward was based on my desire to find more balance in my own life and nurture a passion.

These aspects of my personality and activities that I am interested in need to be a part of my life, even if it means that things are more complicated by keeping them in the juggle. Balance for me means including those things that are important, not excluding them, even when it would mean life was simpler without them. So sometimes stretching myself and challenging myself to exert more time and energy is actually a form of self-preservation. Because if I let those particular things go, I would really struggle. :simple:balance: falls into that category for me right now. I truly have a passion for understanding life balance, sharing what I know, and learning from others. While I took a lot of time and forethought before diving into this venture with my friend, Maggie, I am grateful now that I have found an avenue for joy and fulfillment and an outlet for my creativity and interest.

So my reflections on this blog got me thinking about the overall picture – the grand scheme of balancing and juggling life’s roles. A few things came to mind, learned from my experience thus far here, that I think can be applied to any balance-related choice or decision:

1. Prioritize. We have talked about this before, but it is worth repeating again. Determine those things that fulfill you and nourish you, that are most important to you, and engage your energies there. Don’t waste time on the needless “shoulds,” but rather the “needs” or “wants.”
2. Understand that various roles enhance your life, not deplete it. Yes, the more time you give away to responsibilities, the less you will have left over. But the things you will gain can be more important: energy, joy, relationships, success, satisfaction… the list could go on. Maintaining this positive perspective can really carry you far.
3. Delegate. Enlist the help of other people who can support you in your roles. Rely on them and learn from them. I have forged relationships with guest writers here that I never would have known, had I not been involved with :simple:balance:. Their knowledge, experience, and camaraderie have been a wonderful addition to my life.
4. Don’t strive for perfection, especially in finding balance. As has been said here before, balance typically has an ebb and flow quality to it. Some days may feel more comfortable than others. As the old saying suggests, the journey is what is important, not the destination.

I value this blog, the knowledge I gain from being a part of it, and the support and motivation it nurtures. Thank you for your contribution, and please continue to visit. Leave a comment, send us an email, and share your ideas and thoughts. While I’ve added another thing to my to-do list by being involved, I have gained so much. I look forward to continuing to grow and learn with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment