January 5, 2010

What is Your Deepest Desire?

photo by pedrosimoes7

For so many people, the beginning of the year is marked by a new page, a desire to start fresh and commit to new goals. I had never done New Year’s resolutions until last year. I always thought that people set them up, start out on the road to success, but after a few months, let go of their goals. For example, most of the gyms in the US experience an overload of cars during the early months of the year, and then by spring the number of people coming to get exercise dwindles. Despite this perception, I decided to try something new. At the end of 2008, I took some time and worked on my intentions for the year of 2009. I found that writing intentions really helped me become clear on what I want and what my potential next steps maybe. I grouped my intentions into several categories:

  • Relationships: What are some of the relationships that you would like to foster and/or maintain? Anyone that you don’t feel as connected to but would like to connect at a deeper level? What would be the first step in your attempt to enrich your relationships?

  • Community: What can you do to improve the quality of life for your local and global community? How can you help others? How can you contribute?

  • Material: Is there something that you really desire? How would it help you and others around you? What is your step in your attempt to move towards your desires?

  • Health: Are your experiencing a state of vibrant mental and physical health and balance? If not, what would you like your health to be like? What is one step that you can take towards your goal?

  • Career/Personal Growth: What are your career and/or personal growth aspirations? Are there some new skills you would like to learn? What is one step that you can take towards your desires to grow and learn?

I reviewed my intentions every week --- it only took 5 minutes. I also revised them and added to them based on what was happening in my life. It has been interesting to see which intentions I was able to fulfill and which ones I haven’t moved a dial on. Many of us have heard the expression, “energy flows where attention goes.” That is exactly what I experienced in terms of my intentions being fulfilled. If I consistently came up with the next step and then the next step for some of the goals, I saw them flourish and fulfill my life. Aside from being clear on what my desires are, I learned a bit about myself and my patterns in reaching or not reaching my goals. I think I will do the exercise of intentions again this year! I invite you to join me.


Do you write out your new year’s resolutions? If so, share what works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment