February 9, 2010

More Efficient Grocery Shopping

Photo by J-P-F

An important part of the juggle for anyone with multiple roles is food. Meal-planning, budgeting, and cooking take up considerable amounts of time and energy, and have significant influence on how we balance other things in our lives. Here on :simple:balance:, we have talked about some of the reasons why nutrition is so important, and also more logistically about the benefits of being organized and prepared with meals. One aspect of food that we have not touched on and that I sometimes find myself dreading is grocery shopping.

When I am running into the supermarket to pick up something quickly, it is inevitable that I will have difficulty finding what I need or that I will get caught up in a slow check-out line. When I am in a rush already, these experiences just irritate me more and make the whole event something that I dread the next time I have to go. Over the years, I have discovered a few tips that make the trip to the grocery store more pleasant and more efficient. Here are some of my ideas:

1. Always, always start with a list. Not only will this save you time, but it will also save you money. Keep a list of the items that are “usual” buys for you – things that you need and use week to week. When you use the last of an item from your pantry or refrigerator, put a check mark next to that item on the list, letting you know that you will need to buy this at the market the next time you go. Someone once suggested to me that I organize this list so that the items on the same aisles in my grocery store are grouped together on the list. This has been a huge time-saver for me! I do much less back-and-forth in the store and am able to go through my list in the same order that I go through the store. It has shortened my shopping trips by at least half. (Another tip I have found helpful: put refrigerated items at the end of the list so you get them last. You won’t have melted ice cream nearly as often this way!)

2. Limit your shopping to once a week, at the most. I used to run to the store several times per week to buy items for a meal here and there. This was a huge waste of time… and gas! Now, I plan out meals for at least a week and buy items once that will last throughout those days. I know some people who shop every other week or every month, which saves even more time, but I personally buy a lot of fresh produce; I typically need to replenish that weekly, so this schedule works for me. It is amazing how relaxed it feels to know you have what you need at home and don’t have to make a trip to the store after a long day at work.

3. Choose one or two stores to do most of your shopping at. I used to pick up items at multiple stores, either because someone was having a sale, or I knew that a favorite food was only available at one place. While I still do this at times, I try to limit my shopping to one or two places regularly. I am a huge fan of local farmers’ markets and co-ops, and when available, will do as much of my shopping at these places as I can. But I won’t try to chase down a bargain a the local pharmacy, then jump across town to pick up produce, and then move to the grocery store for the rest of my items. I save time, gas, and money by limiting where I go.

4. Don’t go shopping when you are hungry… or tired, or emotionally drained. We all have heard the recommendation to shop for food when you are satiated, so that you don’t needlessly buy things you don’t need just because your stomach is rumbling. This same suggestion fits for any other type of situation in which you don’t feel well or are just plain exhausted. The shopping trips I make after work are usually my most dreaded. I am tired, hungry, and usually just want to get home and cook something, rather than fight my way through a store to find what I need. I have started shopping either on the weekends when I have a little more time, or during my lunch break at work. (I keep a small cooler in my car for these trips so that my food stays fresh until I get home later that evening). Approaching a task like grocery shopping requires me to be my best, which I am not when I am overly tired or hungry.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t always loathe shopping for food. Quite the opposite is true, actually. I often enjoy perusing the aisles at a favorite market and finding new ingredients that I haven’t tried before or searching for ideas for new recipes. When I don’t have much time, which is usually the case during the work week, shopping is not something that I do for enjoyment, though. The suggestions provided above can be used whether you are in a rush or during those times when your shopping trip is more of an excursion. Even when I’m shopping for enjoyment, though, I don’t like to waste time. So I use the techniques above to make the experience more efficient, allowing for more time to enjoy the process, or to get home to start cooking.

Either way, the key is pleasure! Food is meant to be savored, explored, and enjoyed. If obtaining the food is a miserable process, we will be less likely to do it and, therefore, less likely to partake in healthy, fulfilling meals. So keep it simple, keep it balanced, and enjoy the process. What tips do you have for keeping your grocery shopping efficient?

No comments:

Post a Comment