December 15, 2009

Why Wednesday Is My New Favorite Day of the Week

photo by SashaW

“Ultimately you come to the state where you do nothing and accomplish everything” ~Deepak Chopra

Many of us are extremely busy and focused on what we need to do next. In some way, our existence on this planet is about non-stop doing versus being. Let me explain, we are so busy with everything we need to do every day that we forget to notice that even just being in this world feels quite good. Deepak Chopra wrote a book, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, that outlines seven laws (one for each day of the week) that help us remember why being is important and how we can achieve what we want by going with the flow of life versus against it. For example, the spiritual day for Monday is the law of “Giving and receiving.” It reminds us about the importance of having the circulation of giving and receiving in our lives. The law of the day on Thursday is about our intentions and desires. It reminds us to be aware of our deepest desires and to take steps (even small ones) towards them.

We have a guest today, Sue Knight, Ph.D., who pays attention to these laws every day of her life. She wants to share with you information on her favorite law of the day. Thank you, Sue!

Ever since I decided to focus on one of The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success each day of the week, I love Wednesdays. The Law of Least Effort, the fourth Law, is my favorite. It’s based on the idea that the total combined wisdom of the Universe or Nature is operating at all times, and the less I try to intervene or even fight my way through, the more harmonious the outcomes will be. Sure, I do have a piece of the Universe’s divine wisdom inside myself, but sometimes it’s way inside there, and I’m not accessing it effectively. The Law of Least Effort reminds me that a good default option to always consider is letting nature take its course. Here’s how that law has made Wednesday the BEST for me:

Each morning when I wake up, I review the spiritual law of the day before I start meditating, starting with the first law on Sunday. I think about the concept behind the law and the three guideline tips for applying the law that are included in Chopra’s book. On Wednesdays, I’m thinking about the tremendous release offered by the idea that the least effort may be the best effort in any given situation. And I’m remembering the three guideline tips I can use to make it happen for me:
  • Accept people, events, and circumstances as they are. Minimize my attempts to control the world.
  • Be responsible by using my “ability” to “respond” in the moment when that is right. Stop blaming myself or anyone else for the way things are; just go forward with “now.”
  • Avoid defensiveness. It’s amazing how much time is saved by simply not defending my position!

As I go about my Wednesday, the Law of Least Effort is playing in the background of my mind and can be brought to the forefront at any time. It’s especially useful when I want to stop racing thoughts, when I’m in an awkward social situation, when I’m struggling with a work issue, or when I’m feeling like I have too much to do with too little time. A simple reflection on the harmony that exists in the vastness of the universe is enough to take the pressure off me to provide the “fix.” When I do that, I start relaxing in the idea that I’m just a little piece in a gigantic puzzle, and the more I can keep my edges soft, the better for the whole to fit together. Once I’m thinking about the gigantic puzzle and I’m in Law of Least Effort mode, I’m better able to respond to what other puzzle pieces are presenting and align myself so everything goes together better.

I used to think of Wednesday as “Hump Day” – I was all about getting closer to the weekend, and Wednesday represented getting halfway there. Now with my new perspective, I’m savoring the moments with their constant opportunities to give least effort on Wednesday – and it’s much more enjoyable! Plus things just seem to turn out better without my resistance. Of course, use of the Law of Least Effort isn’t limited to Wednesday; over time it’s becoming a more typical response option for me 24-7.

All of the spiritual laws have added to my “life-balancing repertoire” over the last year since I started using them, and each day is better now that there’s an underlying law to consider whenever I’d like. Just one more example: Sunday is the Law of Pure Potentiality, which contains reminders of the infinite possibilities contained within every single moment. The three guideline tips are to: 1) meditate in a way that frees my mind from my day-to-day surroundings, thoughts and feelings, 2) spend time outside marveling at the way nature unfolds, and 3) avoid judging anyone or anything, since there is obviously a much larger sense to everything than I am aware of.

Please share with us if there is anything that helps you to get a perspective on things when life seems to be spinning around with lots of responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment