September 15, 2009

"Do you ever slow down?"

Photo by Coogan Photo

I have had this question directed at me numerous times and from various people (usually from my husband as I zip by him in the pursuit of some chore I’m trying to accomplish before hitting the pillow at night). The answer has usually been “no,” but I am working hard to change that.

Our bodies need rest. Our minds need rest. The other people in our lives need for us to rest. It is intuitive and understandable that we cannot accomplish all we need to if we are exhausted. Not to mention the fact that we are not fun to be around when we haven’t had adequate rest. (I’m envisioning memories of my parents swearing that I would never again be allowed to attend a slumber party the day after returning home from an all-nighter with my adolescent friends!) So why is it so hard to slow down? Here are some common myths about slowing down and ways to challenge them in your life.

- "I do not have time to do everything I need to."

So if that is true, how have you survived thus far? It is true that when the to-do list seems never-ending and the available hours in the day dwindle quickly, we are easily overwhelmed. But we survive, and in many cases, actually thrive! It sometimes seems like the possibility of slowing down and taking time for ourselves or our loved ones is just comical. “What, sit down with a glass of wine and book for 20 minutes? What about the dishes, laundry, …? ” But the reality is this: the day is what it is. The 24 hours we are allotted is inflexible, so that means that we have to adjust our expectations. There will always be something we have to do, and if we are in a constant sprint, we will never feel satisfied. Making a conscious choice to stop is difficult, but necessary. You may not completely finish that to-do list today, but is that really a disaster? Wouldn’t a few minutes to yourself and a good night’s sleep offer more in terms of your ability to be productive?

- "I don’t know how to slow down."

So practice. If you don’t ever try it, you will never learn how. So here’s a suggestion for a start: give yourself 10 minutes a day for two weeks. Choose to try this at a time of day in which you are more prone to feel relaxed. For some folks, that’s first thing in the morning before things get rolling; for others, it would be in the evening before bed. Pay attention to your natural instincts for relaxation and take advantage of them. Ten minutes is all you need to start with. Enjoy a relaxing beverage (not caffeinated, of course) and an activity that diverts your attention from stressors (e.g., reading, sewing, meditating, sitting on a porch and day dreaming or doing absolutely nothing). During that time, if you are having difficulty relaxing, that’s ok. Stick with it for the 10 minutes and then give yourself permission to stop. I guarantee that after a couple of weeks of trying this, it will become more natural, more a part of your routine, and something you will look forward to.

So, what do you think? Would you be willing to give it a try for two weeks? What do you have to lose? For me, I realized that when the people around me were commenting about my lack of slowing down, it was an issue. I knew that I felt scattered, but didn’t actually realize that it was evident to anyone outside of my head. I took the two-week challenge myself, and am now hooked on my downtime each evening. A book, cup of tea, and time with my husband is something that I work hard to get to each night. Just the thought of it in the midst of a hectic afternoon calms me and helps me remember that the day is what it is. I can only do so much, and I and the people I love are better off with a slowed down me.

Are you willing to try the two-week challenge? If so, let us know here how it goes. What are the challenges? What is your response? What do the people around you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment